Delivering Human Factors Training for Maternity units is a particular specialist focus for Atrainability having worked in many teams across the UK with considerable success over recent years. The particular issues around recognising early warning signs of deterioration of the mother and child and preparing in advance for all eventualities is a fundamental aspect of our training.
Maternity suites have often had issues around communication, across status and hierarchy and Atrainability have helped teams overcome these natural human tendencies resulting in happier, more effective teams and as a by-product a reduction in staff turnover and sickness.
Our courses are highly interactive with both individual exercises and group discussion which are aimed at introducing new concepts whilst capitalising on team members own experiences.
Training will cover :
- Introduction to Human Factors - definition and data
- Cognition Issues - The essential fallibility of the human brain and propensity for error
- Sub-Optimal Performance - the effects of stress and targets on adherence to rules
- Communications - practical, proven skills to ensure safe communication
- Assertiveness - dealing with inappropriate hierarchy and offering real skills for speaking up
- Conflict Management - skills that can defuse anger and bullying in the workplace
- Leadership - who is the leader? What are the skills of leading a healthcare team?
- Team-working - how to bring unmotivated staff on board and get everyone working together
- Situation Awareness - how are 'mental models' formed and maintained? what are the classic signs of impending error?
- Decision Making - how to avoid automatic decision processes and delegate workload appropriately
- Briefing - using all these skills to form a safe, effective, efficient team
- Debriefing - no one is better placed than the team members to learn and implement improvements
- Checklists - how to design and use checklists that teams can accept and understand
"Lots of real life examples made the theory easier to apply to practice"
"The course was very inspiring, Ben spoke very professionally & passionately & encouraged us to change practice"
Delegates and Team Leaders will gain :
- confidence in their abilities and the tools to make improvements where needed
- self-awareness – including recognising the effects of stress on their reactions
- better communication and team-working
- assertiveness skills, and the ability to speak up
- improved situational awareness and decision making
- the ability to use a structure of observable behaviours for consistent feedback
- develop the skills of facilitated briefing and debriefing
- an understanding of how to use checklists effectively
- a motivated and safer team
"Confidently delivered, interactive, very relevant to my position"
"Relevant information presented in an interesting & knowledgeable way which is very likely to change the way we work"
Training methods :
Initial courses will be delivered at Foundation level, combining short lectures with individual and team exercises as well as open discussion.
We also offer a variety of masterclasses for those who already have an understanding of Human Factors but wish to focus on specific problem areas.
If you have any questions about this or any of our couses please CLICK HERE to get in contact with us